Monday, September 15, 2008

Tech Crunch 50: Angstro Connects Smarter



I was quite intrigued when I heard about Angstro. I’ve been searching for a better way to stay on top of the people and organizations of my network, but had not found a strong solution. One of the first tools I tried was Google and Yahoo Alerts – I typed in my people and search terms and frankly got a bunch of gobbledygook. News of people with the same names, for example. Or, when I tried to track who posted info from my blog, I got my own blog posts back 90% of the time.

OK, none of this stuff is essential – but then, hey, very little besides oxygen and water are actually essential to our lives. And this stuff is really important – keeping up with colleagues and organizations is very important to my business and my life.

Of course, the complexity of the process depends on the individual or organization you are trying to track. Not hard for me to track Cory Treffiletti – an incredibly uncommon name, but harder when I am trying to track John Durham, a perhaps uncommon name but not a unique one.

Enter Angstro. Here, let’s start by letting their website describe their service:

Ångströ delivers the news you need to know about your professional network.
By leveraging existing services such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter, Ångströ helps you easily discover and share critical business news about colleagues, clients, and companies.
Unlike clipping services that confuse multiple people with the same name, Ångströ both disambiguates names and analyzes social graphs to prioritize those relationships that matter to you most.

Nice description, and an excellent idea for an improved methodology that cuts out the chaff and gets you to the wheat of your relationships and connections.

I’ve applied for the beta, so I’ll be writing more about them. I suggest you apply as well. Because if this product does what it says on the side panel, you’ll find this an incredibly useful offering.

Thanks for reading, and don’t forget to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because people have been abusing the comment platform to place phony links to deceptive sites, I am now moderating all comments. If your comment is legit and contains a relevant link, it will be published.