Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library." Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice



As someone whose every flat surface groans from the weight of far too many books, I am always quietly startled when I enter the house of someone and there are no books to be seen. It's not a value judgement but rather a bit of incredulity that someone can live without the joy of a quiet rainy afternoon with one's nose in the pages of book of whatever genre.

I am even more amazed when I enter houses with kids in which kids rooms are not stocked with books. Sure, computers are amazing and you can now get millions of books for free, I get that. But the experience of a paper book -- the scent, the sound, the feel -- is a cornerstone in a healthy childhood. And a healthy adulthood, come to that.

Which is why I am excited to tell you that my friend Kim Askew has launched a new web-based service called My Personal Librarian that offers to help you build a library by getting a picture of your interests and goals and then purchasing titles accordingly.

Kim is a prolific writer, web site editor, and smart cookie that knows her way around a dusty shelf. Her site and business offer a variety of ways to work with a Personal Librarian, but the process always begins with an interview about your interests and needs, and then the recommendations go from there.



Here are some of the ways to invest in this service:

Shopping List--available in increments of 100
Kim will create a personal book shopping list for you.

Starter Library—starts at 100 books

Abundant Library--starts at 300 books

Extraordinary Library--starts at 500 books

Children’s Library--starts at 100 books

Collegiate Library--starts at 100 books

Electronic Library--monthly subscription fee

Gift Certificates

Additional Services - Rare books, special edition, leather bound, and other add-ons available to any of the above purchases.


BTW, just to read her site is a joy as she is such a gifted writer.

I understand her business is doing rather well. Beyond the simple pleasure of knowledge, seeking expert help in the acquisition of books seems a really nice thing to see succeeding.

Check it out, particularly if your bookshelves are filled with Star Wars action figures instead of words. She can certainly fill them with the absolute best sci fi...

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because people have been abusing the comment platform to place phony links to deceptive sites, I am now moderating all comments. If your comment is legit and contains a relevant link, it will be published.