Sunday, May 18, 2008

iMedia: Effective Online Reach

Today in the presentation from Undertone, it was brought up that the effective reach to drive tune in for a TV program like American Idol was 5-7 exposures.

Thank you to the presenters!

Why am I thanking them? Well, for 22 years I have been hearing people use 3+ as an effective reach figure for TV ads, whereas I think it is more like 8. Or 15. At the start of my career I worked for an agency that was AOR for Cable, and I saw plan after plan improve in its (believed) effect on sales by shifting more dollars to Cable, which jacked the number of 5+ and 10+ exposures.

Of course, there are ads where all it'll take is 1. But most ads or more wallpaper than Mona Lisa, and will take time to get noticed and processed. Especially online.

Of course it take more than 3. Of course it does. And in online I am guessing that 5-7 is a MINIMUM standard. If you believe the research that says many people don't even "see" the banners on a particular page they are viewing, then how could the number be any less than 5.

I know there is lots of research today that says you must maximize 1+ for best results. I think it's BS. Give me a plan that delivers maximumized 10+, and I'll bet you my last dollar it'll deliver better sales.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because people have been abusing the comment platform to place phony links to deceptive sites, I am now moderating all comments. If your comment is legit and contains a relevant link, it will be published.