Thursday, September 4, 2008

Evri: Delightful Entanglement...



OK, so I have to tell you I have not used Evri yet. They are in beta and I have applied but am not in. So my use of Delightful in the headline refers to the concept and (hopefully) the execution. They have quite an engineering team, so all signs point to that probability.

So what is this concept? Well, the idea is to fill a sort of space in between search engines and content. Here's what that means, using my work day as an example.

I get asked to research a topic. I go to Yahoo or Delicious and enter my keywords, then start going to the links. Right click a link, spawn new window, read the page, close the window, right click the next link. But inevitably I feel the need to adjust my search terms pretty quickly. Because one starts with a topic like BT, and then adjust to ISP targeting, and then Frontporch, then back to BT, all the while clicking back and forth between content and search engine.

So what if I could follow a research thread without going back to the search engine. What if I could follow the thread when I want based upon following up on the content in a page.

Evri holds the promise of changing that process using a widget or overlay that assesses the page content and delivers a menu of links by topic. They do this in what looks like a tab form or as a graphical wagon wheel connection thing that is really intriguing looking.





One thing it seems important to point out is that while semantics are the basis of this, it is NOT a semantic search engine. It is a semantic connection tool, and I find that a very tasty concept indeed. I'll keep you posted on what I find in the beta, but this sounds like a goodie to me.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because people have been abusing the comment platform to place phony links to deceptive sites, I am now moderating all comments. If your comment is legit and contains a relevant link, it will be published.