Thursday, July 31, 2008

Semantic Search Post Eight: Conclusions

So search is not my forte, and if I made any errors in all of the other posts, please tell me so I can set the record straight. Additionally, if you hae a company also in this space, please post the url in the comments so I can add it to the list of reviews. I just focused on the outfits that seem to get the most attention.

One of the big conclusions I have about this area is that too many people describe semantic search as a panacea or revolutionary sea change in search. When it appears to me to be an evolutionary addition to existing search principles and information sources. Perhaps I don’t see all the vision though.

What it clear is that search in its current state is astounding, incredible, unbelievably useful, and seriously flawed. We need to remember that only a few years ago search meaqnt a visit to a card catalog, World Book, or microfilm index in the local library. Happily that is no longer the case. But we live in an age of incredible revolutionary and incremental advancements. I view semantic search as the latter, though perhaps it will prove to be both.

Thanks for reading, and don’t forget to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because people have been abusing the comment platform to place phony links to deceptive sites, I am now moderating all comments. If your comment is legit and contains a relevant link, it will be published.