Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Niche Social Networks: Post 4: A Small World - I'd Tell You More But...



That famous Woody Allen movie comes to mind when I think about A Small World, a highly exclusive social net for rich folks:

"I'd never join a club that would have me as a member."



A Small World is an invitation only social net that really and truly is closed to the great unwashed like me. That sounded like a shot, but I don't mean it that way. A Small World has a niche, I'm just not relevant to that niche.

But I think it's worthy of our attention because they have apparently attracted a variety of very exclusive advertisers and sponsors including (according to this article in the Wapo) Burberry, Cartier, Land Rover, and Remy Martin. WaPo reports that Remy threw a party for the members and served $1800 a bottle hooch. That IS a special audience, and one I don't belong in.

So A Small World is relevant both as proof that niche social can attract big spending marketers in ways that FB and MySpace are struggling to do. And if you are a marketer of this sort of high end good, it's probably a place for you to crack.

I bet it's pretty in there as well. But I'll never know (sniff...) ;-)

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because people have been abusing the comment platform to place phony links to deceptive sites, I am now moderating all comments. If your comment is legit and contains a relevant link, it will be published.