Tuesday, April 29, 2008

YOS AND AN OPEN SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT ACROSS THE SITE

As a baby boomer, I always take a little longer to understand why people like social networks so much. I LOVE the social aspect of the web, but have little interest in knowing that someone in my FaceBook friends list is eating bacon for breakfast. Just when I begin to see the value of FaceBook, I get ANOTHER Zombies invitation. Honestly, how do people conduct business in this?


Yahoo’s social plan is to connect people to those they care about within the context of context. So, the thoughts and ideas people I play Fantasy Baseball with are most available to me when I am on Yahoo Sports. I can still connect with them in yahoo Finance, but the idea is that each of us has different relationships for different contextual areas.


The YOS model also recognizes, however, that context is not the only predictor of what I will want from people socially. I will, in this totally open environment, be able to connect with and leverage my relationship with anyone at any time. But the contextual overlay seems rather valuable.


And thank the stars above that they are not creating another social network. This puts them at odds with AOL’s recent purchase of Bebo, but the world of social media is so transitory that relying on the possible success of one social network over another seems rather inappropriate to me.


So it appears that Yahoo is taking the central core of Yahoo as an information and entertainment resource and simply adding additional layers of sociality to it. I like that.


Thanks for reading, and don’t forget to write.




TOMORROW: IS YOS JUST MICROSFT LIVE REBRANDED?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because people have been abusing the comment platform to place phony links to deceptive sites, I am now moderating all comments. If your comment is legit and contains a relevant link, it will be published.