Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Magic of UGC

I don’t care what your politics are. And I am sure you could give two turds about mine. But take a look at this.

www.Youbama.com

I don’t think it’s a stretch to think of candidates as brands. And I can’t imagine a more powerful and compelling digital political experience than seeing hundreds of videos that supporters created for a candidate.

Many of these messages contain messages, themes, and ideas that would have a tough time making it through a campaign advertising filter. There are just some things a candidate cannot say.

But the Obama brand is unique in that such a huge component of it is bottom up and populist in style and expression. “We Are The Ones We’ve Been Waiting For.” So while the campaign may not have made the messages, the sheer existence of this UGC site does more to reinforce the brand, in my opinion, than any :30 aired in the Super Bowl.

And that there, my friends, is the magic of the new marketing world. UGC that reinforces the essence of the brand, even if it doesn’t use approved or orthodox images, themes, colors, fonts, or casting. That’s what’s possible today. It scares the pants off me, but it gives me goosebumps as well.

PS: To my GOP readers: I am happy to plug a McCain UGC site like this in my next entry if you send me the link. I am an equal opportunity opinionated bastard.

Thanks for reading, and don’t forget to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because people have been abusing the comment platform to place phony links to deceptive sites, I am now moderating all comments. If your comment is legit and contains a relevant link, it will be published.