Wednesday, July 2, 2008

imeem - making the web work for advertisers -- and music labels



I had the good fortune of sitting at the same table as Helen Har at Gretchen and Cory's wedding. It got me to thinking about signs that the music industry is getting something positive and lucrative from the web. Helen is VP of Sales - West for imeem, which is the leading music centered social network with some 25 million registrants.

To be honest I had forgotten about imeem, which is not a statement about their marketing (25 million is a rockin' member number) but rather about the low level of personal interest I have in music. I like music -- everyone likes music, but some people -- lots of people but not me -- live eat sleep and breathe music, and they are the lifeblood of imeem and other music driven networks.



What's interesting to me about imeem is their partner list, which reads like a what's what of the music biz. Look at these names:

- EMI
- Sony BMG
- Universal
- Warner
- and about 60 other labels, it appears

Just the fact that EMI is on the list says a lot about imeem, because EMI appears to be the most litigious regarding digital media issues. It's clear that the music industry understands the incredible value (potential and REAL) that social media play in the dispersion and trial of music. As the role of radio...changes?...declines?...recalibrates?...the web is going to play the central role in the music business.

What I liked about talking with Helen was both her enthusiasm for what she does and for the organization she is part of. I have occasionally taken potshots at the music industry on this blog for what I believe is their myopic perspective on digital content -- specifically that reducing the amount of content out there will somehow increase profits. She pleasantly set me straight about my view -- that my absolutist perspective is only a small part of the larger picture.

- First, because the music industry has truly been weakened by piracy.
- Second because advertising has not (yet) been able to take up the revenue slack caused by piracy.
- And third that my definition of online music is kinda sorta wrong or at least simplistic.

Helen seems to be of the view that music content has a much broader definition than just the MP3s, and that her job and imeem's job is to prove that that broader definition is critical to making digital work for BOTH advertisers AND the music business. That imeem (and other music innovations) can massively alter the revenue situation for the industry for the better as it also delivers what advertisers need.

Making digital work for the music business is essential for both the future of music and the future of the web. Helen reminded me that the web story is not all about iTunes and BitTorrent and nothing else, and got me thinking that maybe the sale of music online will be a secondary source of revenue to the opportunity to monetize musical interest through advertising, promotions, and sponsorship.

So thank you Helen. I appreciate being schooled on such an important issue as music. And schooled by such a smart and funny individual.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to write.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Imeem is quite fine! It's part of the websites which contributed to the revolution in the musical world. However, my favourite one in that context is http://www.deezer.com/en which brought real free and legal music-on-demand! It's quite great, and it has quite a huge catalogue right now! Check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Because people have been abusing the comment platform to place phony links to deceptive sites, I am now moderating all comments. If your comment is legit and contains a relevant link, it will be published.