Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Footbo.com - Oh God, MORE SOCCER!!!



Chris Schwarze has an interesting post in his blog about social net Footbo, especially for football (read soccer) fans. Nice site. But it makes me tremble to think that now the guys in our office will have MORE soccer things to talk about. About a week ago I was talking about the soccer phenom in our office to the one other person at CSF who isn't a major soccer fan (Cory.) I said that it would all quiet down when this world championship thing is over, Cory joked, "Jim, there's always soccer on somewhere. It never ends. There's a Cup every month."

He meant it as a joke, but I will not be at all surprised if I hear an online video of Krasnoyarsk United playing Sakhalin FC over the cube wall soon, with the six guys in the dojo debating the merits of Ivan Ivanovich versus Tolya Tolyovich and their ball handling skills.I swear to God I heard them talk about Lichtenstein's players once. Or was it a Monaco - Andorra grudgematch? Perhaps Tristan da Cunha - Nightingale Island best of five.

I'm convinced that my fellow Catalystas would learn to transliterate a Cyrillic fantasy soccer interface in Ekonomika i Zhizn or the Krasnoyarskaya Pravda if it meant they could follow this sport more. And in my head I can hear what the endless hours of debate over 7 players -- all named Ivan or Sascha -- will sound like.

What is the hold that this game has over people? I'll admit that I like to watch Mexican soccer on Univision and Telemundo...but Catalystas are obsessional on the topic.

At least I am learning about how fantasy sports interfaces work. Or should I say Fantaskaya Sports Interfacovnas.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to write.

1 comment:

Because people have been abusing the comment platform to place phony links to deceptive sites, I am now moderating all comments. If your comment is legit and contains a relevant link, it will be published.