Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Let’s Talk Meebo: Because Some People Just Don’t Get It

Sometimes I can stare opportunity in the face for a week and not see it. And Meebo is one of those times. So many people I know love Love LOVE this service, and yet for me (an admittedly very lite IMer) it seemed like a very useful thing but more utility than gushy lovable phenom.

Hold the phone a minute and I will explain it. Meebo is a platform that lets people on different IM offerings communicate with eachother. It also offers private chatrooms that can be accessed on the site or integrated into other sites. There were other similar services in the past, but I believe Meebo was the first to offer this without download.

So, as I read that paragraph, again, I see utility rather than cause célèbre that people would gladly lay down their lives for. And yet that is exactly what Meebo is. People who use this service adore it, and evangelize for it left and right. I cannot tell you how many times my eyes have glazed over at industry parties when people out of the blue start talking about this and how it has CHANGED THEIR LIVES!

To be sure, the site has rock em sock em stats:

About Meebo and its Users
• 3+ million logins per day
• 2.5 hours per average session at meebo.com
• 60 buddies average per user
• Median age of 21
• 30 million unique monthly users across Meebo properties
• Conversation-driven environment is perfect for viral campaigns
• Moderation features and profanity filters across all properties make Meebo the safest place for IM on the Web


I want to emphasize that this post is definitely a fan letter for Meebo. These people clearly have a knack for creating brand energy and evangelism that we would all do well to copy.

Dearhearts, they also offer a host of advertising opportunities so that you and your brand can capitalize on both the user passion and the large amounts of time they spend on the site/using the services. Many of their ad opps can be shared experiences across users, That’s pretty cool in itself.

Even someone like me, that doesn’t entirely get the tingly sensation when I hear this brand name, recognizes marketing power when I see it. And Meebo appears to be a synonym for both the words "marketing power" and "love".

Thanks for reading, and don’t forget to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because people have been abusing the comment platform to place phony links to deceptive sites, I am now moderating all comments. If your comment is legit and contains a relevant link, it will be published.