Monday, August 4, 2008

Geek Magazine: A Hilarious New(ish) Development

So I was in Borders over the weekend, and spotted two facings of Geek magazine, a title that, in their words,

...is dedicated to anything and everything that geeks like to obsess about; Toys, Anime, TV Shows, Games, and DVDs. But there is more to the modern geek so expect the lowdown on all sorts of things from the latest apply-to-the-forehead headache cure to the technology behind space currency and the personalities behind our geek-driven culture.


Oh, I personally rebel against the label geek, and truth be told have only a couple of the prereqs outlined above. I am more likely to read what Britney's doing than what Paul Allen is up to (in fairness to my voyeuristic tendency, let me point out that Paul never, to my knowledge at least, got out of a car with no underwear on...,) but I really am struck by how many people are so willing to accept -- nay, embrace -- the g word and by how geek-driven our culture really is. It's not OK! mag readers that created FaceBook, after all. So I salute geeks, and Geek Mag, which I found an interesting read even if I could care less about anime. Actually I care less than less.

But these people are examples of their target, who organized a singles night complete with light sabres. Best quote "We just need to come out of our hobbit holes and meet."



And you have to smile at an offline media industry saluting techy geeks that are eventually going to put it out of business, and at a TV business where, to take the most extreme example, showed "New York", VH-1's paragon of classless bling, and her Mom, watching and commenting on YouTube vids in a 60 minute special some months back. People watching people on TV watching vids on the net. Ya gotta smile.

And Geek Monthly's Blogs are fierce!

What next...Geek Monthly Comic Con playmates?

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because people have been abusing the comment platform to place phony links to deceptive sites, I am now moderating all comments. If your comment is legit and contains a relevant link, it will be published.