Monday, June 23, 2008

IN MEMORIAM: STEVE WOLKOFF

Earlier today I sent out a congratulatory wish to the people at FreeWheel for their first successful year of changing the face of the net.

Later on, I learned of the tragic death of FreeWheeler Steve Wolkoff. His life was cut short in an accident caused by a drunk driver.

I have difficulty putting into words the sense of loss TO THE WORLD that Steve's death represents. I so admired his cleverness, his incredible intelligence, his energy, and his irrepressible wit. He was a major force in the FreeWheel organization, and no doubt in the lives of every person he touched.

Steve's death should remind us all to live for today. It should also be a wake-up call to those who are afflicted with self destructive behaviors like the drunk driver responsible for Steve's death. No doubt that individual feels remorse at this time. But the time to demonstrate concern for the innocent around them is before a life as precious as Steve's -- or indeed any life -- gets cut short.

If you find alcohol controlling your life -- if you get behind the wheel while intoxicated, don't wait until you end the life of another before you get help. Steve cannot be saved. But other innocent people can stay alive if YOU get help. Help is available. I know that addiction can seem unstoppable. Believe me I know. As I sit typing on the 3019th day of my sobriety. I was fortunate enough to stop drinking before I hurt someone. Don't wait until you harm someone...

There are many resources you can reach out to for help. One is available by clicking this url:

http://www.aa.org/

POST SCRIPT: THOSE WANTING TO WRITE ABOUT WHAT STEVE MEANT TO THEM, OR TO SEND HIS FRIENDS AND FAMILY CONDOLENCES SHOULD VISIT FREEWHEEL.TV, WHICH HAS BEEN CONVERTED INTO A MEMORIAL SITE WITH A POSTING BOARD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because people have been abusing the comment platform to place phony links to deceptive sites, I am now moderating all comments. If your comment is legit and contains a relevant link, it will be published.